Make sure the Easter Bunny keeps chocolate treats well hidden from pet dogs

While we’re all getting ready to enjoy an Easter egg or two this weekend, it’s important to remember that while chocolate is a delicious treat for humans, it can be potentially life threatening for our canine companions.

Chocolate contains an alkaloid called theobromine which dogs metabolise much more slowly than humans do, and can be fatal in large enough doses.

Different types of chocolate have different toxicity levels – with dark and cooking chocolate the most lethal, and white chocolate the least poisonous.

“When you’re hiding your Easter egg collection from family members, keep in mind that a dog’s sense of smell is a thousand times more sensitive than that of humans and make sure they are out of reach or in an air tight container,” said Dr Leanne Pinfold.

The symptoms of chocolate poisoning in dogs include restlessness, vomiting, diarrhoea, increased heart rate, muscle tremors and seizures.

If owners notice any of these symptoms, they are encouraged to take their dog to Lort Smith or their local vet straight away.

Lort Smith will be open daily from 8.30am to midnight as usual throughout the Easter holiday period.