- If your pet has developed signs following exposure to organophosphates, or ingested a bait, contact your veterinarian immediately.
- If instructed, induce vomiting or take your pet to the veterinarian so that this may be done.
- Vomiting should never be induced in tremoring, seizuring or comatose animals.
- Animals that have been exposed via skin contact should be carefully bathed in a mild dishwashing detergent. Excess fur should be clipped. Tick and flea collars should be removed.
- Veterinary care requires intensive care including activated charcoal or gastric lavage, intravenous fluids, medication to control seizures and cardiovascular/respiratory support. Oxygen is very important as most deaths occur due to respiratory complications.
- If possible, provide the packaging of the product ingested to your veterinarian to aid in identification of the toxin.
Organophosphates, chlorpyrifos, chlorfenvinphos, diazinon, demeton-S-methyl, dimpylate, dichlorvos, dimethoate, fenthion, fenitrothion, heptenophos, malathion, pirimiphos-methyl
- Uncoordinated or wobbly gait (ataxia)
- Pinpoint pupils
- Muscle fasciculations/tremors
- Increased sensitivity to touch (hyperaesthesia)
- Difficulty breathing (dyspnoea)
- Urinary incontinence
- Low heart rate (bradycardia)
EFFECTS OF TOXICITY
These insecticides inhibit the breakdown of the neurotransmitter acetylcholine, leading to excess stimulation of the nervous system.
Volmer P (2011) Insecticides. In: Small Animal Toxicology Essentials ed. RH Poppenga and SM Gwaltney-Brant. London: Wiley-Blackwell. Pp212-214.
BSAVA (2012) BSAVA/VPIS Guide to Common Canine and Feline Poisons. Gloucester: BSAVA.
Campbell A (2000) Organophosphate insecticides. In A Campbell & M Chapman (eds). Handbook of Poisoning in Dogs and Cats. Oxford: Blackwell Science.