- Potato toxicity can be fatal. If your pet has ingested parts of a raw potato or potato plant, including peelings, contact your veterinarian immediately.
- Your veterinarian may instruct you to induce vomiting, however, do not induce vomiting unless instructed to.
In general, patients will show early systemic signs and clinically progress from gastrointestinal to cardiovascular to neuromuscular and neurological disease.
- Abdominal pain
- Fever (hyperthermia)
- Gum irritation
- Excessive urination (polyuria)
- Uncoordinated gait (ataxia)
- Abnormal eye movements (nystagmus)
- Different sized pupils in both eyes (anisocoria)
- Abnormal heart rhythm (arrhythmia)
- Central nervous system depression (depression, dullness, stupor)
- Muscle tremors
- Abnormal posture/stiffness and rigidity/extension of limbs
EFFECT OF TOXICITY
Poisoning occurs only if the animal ingests raw or green potatoes. Cooked potatoes are not harmful. Raw potatoes contain a combination of toxic alkaloids that can cause gastrointestinal irritation and neurological signs. The mechanism of toxicity is incompletely understood.
Veterinary care may consist of further decontamination, intravenous fluids and anti-emetics. Symptomatic treatment may involve muscle relaxants, anti-arrhythmics, anticonvulsants, pain relief and other drugs can be administered as necessary.
Your pet’s vital parameters should be monitored closely and your vet may recommend blood tests. Your pet may be hospitalised for a few days and complete recovery may take several days or weeks, depending on the severity of the case.