1. Contact your veterinarian immediately and take your pet to the veterinarian as soon as possible.
  2. Your veterinarian may instruct you to induce vomiting, however, do not induce vomiting unless instructed to.
  3. If possible, provide a sample of the product ingested, including any packaging and package inserts, to your veterinarian to aid in identification of the toxin and estimation of the dose received.



Doses over 0.1mg/kg can lead to clinical toxicity.


Clinical signs occur in within 24-36 hours of ingesting baits.

  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhoea (possibly containing blood)
  • Lethargy/fatigue
  • Depression
  • Weakness
  • Excessive drinking (polydipsia)
  • Excessive urination (polyuria)
  • Failure to produce urine (anuria)
  • Collapse
  • Death


Cholecalciferol increases blood calcium and phosphorus levels. This can lead to mineralisation of soft tissues and kidney failure. Death occurs due to kidney or heart failure. In some cases cardiac deaths occur weeks after treatment, probably due to mineralisation of the heart muscle.


Veterinary care may involve administration of repeat doses of activated charcoal and intravenous fluids to support cardiovascular and kidney function. Diuretics and steroids may be administered to enhance excretion of calcium. Phosphate binders may be administered to mop up excess phosphate.



Dunayer E (2011) Rodenticides. In: Small Animal Toxicology Essentials ed. RH Poppenga and SM Gwaltney-Brant. London: Wiley-Blackwell. Pp121-122.