Leaving a bequest in your Will is one of the most valuable ways that you can assist Lort Smith. We rely on bequests to help us meet the ever-increasing demands for our services. Your Gift will enable us to:
- provide discounted surgery and medical care for the pets of people with limited means
- provide shelter, treatment, and care for thousands of sick, injured, and vulnerable animals
- find new loving homes for animals that have been surrendered to our Adoption Centre
- purchase essential diagnostic equipment and medical supplies
- promote responsible pet ownership
- foster an awareness of animals and the benefits they bring.
Let us know your intentions
All too often, the first we hear about a bequest is when a supporter has passed away. By letting us know about your intention to leave a Gift to Lort Smith in your Will, you can become a part of our bequest Lyle society. This club allows us to recognise the generosity of our most important benefactors while they are still with us. It also enables us to invite you to events and keep you updated about the work of the organisation. The easiest way to let us know is by emailing us with your intentions.
Worried about the future of your pet?
By leaving a bequest you can also enrol your pets in our Pet Legacy Program. This program can give you peace of mind, knowing that your pets will be cared for should you pass away before they do.
Types of bequests
Your solicitor or trustee company will advise you about the different types of bequests and which may suit you best. Some of the types you may consider are:
- A specific dollar amount
- Residue – Whole, which means that after your allocated bequests have been distributed, the residue will be left to Lort Smith.
- Residue – Percentage, which means the same as residue – whole, except you wish to bequeath a percentage of the remaining estate.
- Specific item, if you wish to leave a specific item instead; for example, property or shares.
How to word your bequest
Should you decide to include a Gift to Lort Smith in your Will, you will be leaving a wonderful legacy supporting sick, injured, and vulnerable animals.
The wording below can be provided to your solicitor to help ensure that your wishes are carried out.
I______________________________ of __________________________________________________
Give and bequeath free of all duties and taxes payable at my death (if any)
(Please insert the appropriate statement listed below)
1) The sum of $_______________________
2) (insert number) % of my estate
3) The residue of my estate (or [insert number] % of the residue of my estate)
to Lort Smith (ABN 87 004 238 475) for the use and purposes of the said organisation. The official receipt of the organisation shall be a full and sufficient discharge of my bequest.