1. Do NOT induce vomiting.
  2. If the animal is not vomiting or regurgitating, a small quantity of milk can be given to dilute the corrosive battery fluid.
  3. Small, intact batteries which are swallowed whole may be passed. Your veterinarian may use x-rays can be used to determine the presence of a battery and monitor its progress through the gastrointestinal tract.
  4. Batteries that are lodged in the oesophagus (food-pipe) should be removed via endoscope.
  5. Batteries which are in the stomach or small intestine should be surgically removed if they are too large to pass, if the cases is damaged, if the battery is leaking (this may be visible on x-rays or can detected by discoloured stool) or if they have not moved in 24 hours as detected on x-rays. Other treatment includes pain relief, gastroprotectants and antibiotics if required.
  6. Packaging, similar batteries or details about the battery ingested should be given to your veterinarian to aid in identification of the toxin.




  • Hypersalivation
  • Depression
  • Vomiting
  • Regurgitation
  • Ulcers in the mouth or on the tongue
  • Abdominal pain
  • Diarrhoea
  • Blood in stool
  • Discoloured stool


Battery fluid can cause chemical burns or heavy metal (mercury or zinc) intoxication.



BSAVA (2012) BSAVA/VPIS Guide to Common Canine and Feline Poisons. Gloucester: BSAVA.

Campbell A (2000) Batteries. In A Campbell & M Chapman (eds). Handbook of Poisoning in Dogs and Cats. Oxford: Blackwell Science.