1. If your pet has ingested grapes or sultana products, contact your veterinarian immediately.
  2. Your veterinarian may instruct you to induce vomiting, however, do not induce vomiting unless instructed to. It is safer to take your pet to the veterinarian so that vomiting can be induced. This will be most effective within two hours of ingestion. If possible, provide the packaging or recipe of the product ingested to your veterinarian to aid in determining the amount of grapes or raisins ingested.




Typically occur within 2-6 hours of ingestion but may be delayed for 24 hours to several days after ingestion.

  • Vomiting (may contain blood)
  • Diarrhoea (may contain blood)
  • Hypersalivation
  • Lethargy/fatigue
  • Inappetence
  • Abdominal pain
  • Tremors
  • Weakness
  • Drinking excessively (polydipsia)
  • Urinating excessively (polyuria)
  • Failure to produce urine (anuria)


The mechanism of toxicity is unknown, but the primary effect is kidney damage. Ingestion of grapes and sultanas can lead to irreversible kidney failure.


Veterinary care is usually intensive and may require intravenous fluids, blood and urine tests to monitor kidney function, and in severe cases diuretics and gastroprotectants.



Bough M (2011) Food-Associated Intoxications. In: Small Animal Toxicology Essentials ed. RH Poppenga and SM Gwaltney-Brant. London: Wiley-Blackwell. Pp210-211.

BSAVA (2012) BSAVA/VPIS Guide to Common Canine and Feline Poisons. Gloucester: BSAVA.

McAlees T (2013) Emergency treatment: Toxicities. Webinar presented for the Centre for Veterinary Education, Thursday October 17, 2pm. www.cve.edu.au